The main Coachella stage is pretty strong today with Gaslight Anthem, Lumineers. Social Distortion, Vampire Weekend and Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds leading up to festival closers, Red Hot Chilli Peppers.
But there are a lot of other fun retro acts I’m hoping to catch at least a bit of today, including:
– ’90s alt-rockers Dinosaur Jr. at 5:10 at the Outdoor Theatre
– ’70s folk rocker/recently unearthed gem Rodriguez at 6:35 in the Gobi Tent
– ’90s hip-hop collective, Wu Tang Clan. Probably won’t be an ODB hologram, but you never know.
Goldenvoice released its April concert calendar on Feb. 25.
Goldenvoice released its lineup for April shows — also known as your chance to catch Coachella artists in other venues.
Tickets to the 33-plus shows will go on sale as early as March 1.
Among the lineup:
- Aesop Rock at the Constellation Room on April 16
- Rodriguez at The Orpheum on April 16
- Franz Ferdinand at The Fonda on April 16
- 2 Chainz at the Observatory on April 18
- Vampire Weekend at Fox Theater on April 18
Spiritualized will play April 15 and Franz Ferdinand on April 18, both at Pappy and Harriet’s in Pioneertown.
But don’t forget the biggest bonus show of them all: Tachevah block party on April 17.
That’s when The Desert Sun and Goldenvoice will team up for a free celebration of music in downtown Palm Springs. Three voter-chosen bands and one Goldenvoice headliner will play.
Coachella is slated for April 12-14 and April 19-21 at the Empire Polo Grounds in Indio. Wristbands are sold out.
Goldenvoice has announced it will hold an additional sale for local residents, but it has not released details (including when that sale will be or who will be eligible).