I almost made the connection multiple times this week:
• “This ‘Harlem Shake’ song sounds like something you’d hear in the Sahara Tent at the Do LaB.”
• “Wouldn’t it be crazy if someone played the ‘Harlem Shake’ at Coachella?”
• “Oh, Baauer is on Mad Decent.”
• “Azealia Banks has a ‘Harlem Shake’ remix?There’s a Coachella connection!”
Stompede dancers do the Harlem Shake on Friday in Rancho Mirage.
But I was missing the biggest Coachella connection of all.
We thought all the best Coachella cameos and surprises would come Sunday — Eminem and Warren G with Dr. Dre/Snoop Dogg and that persistent rumor that Madonna will show up for AVICII.
Boy were we wrong.
Here’s the highlight reel from Saturday:
– Usher surprised David Guetta fans, who were crammed into the tiny Sahara tent for a major dance session. The Grammy Award-winning R&B singer and the French DJ tore up the tent by playing part of their hit single, “Without You.”
– “I Try” singer Macy Gray (remember her?) joined AWOLNATION on the main stage during the indie pop band’s late afternoon set.
– Just when Kaiser Chiefs seemed to wind down their popular set on the main stage, singer Ricky Wilson sprinted down the center aisle and climbed the media tower, hamming it up by singing directly into the camera.
– Rapper Azealia Banks got the whole festival talking with her debut act that spurred comparisons to diva Nicki Minaj. Too bad Banks ended her 45-minute set about 20 minutes early, a move she later explained was because her DJ accidentally skipped ahead to the final track.
– Childish Gambino (aka Donald Glover, who plays Troy on “Community”) rocked the main stage with his broken foot. Danny Brown and Kendrick Lamar, who played Friday and will return Sunday with Dr. Dre, joined him briefly.
– Black Lips frontman Cole Alexander dropped his pants in an, um, intimate move with his guitar, the first nudity on stage this weekend.